Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Blended learning

Week 4 of R685 focused on the growth of blended learning as well as describing its various forms. Although I had been exposed to early forms of blended learning, i.e. WebCT synchronous chats through distance learning while a student at Mercer University, I have noticed a significant change in the richness of the blended learning experience during the last several semesters in Indiana's IST master program.

We use a sychronous chat software called Adobe Connect/Breeze which resembles virtual meeting software that I utilize at work (WebEx, WebMeeting, GoToMeeting) but the level of sharing and dialogue within Breeze has changed to the point it is almost like being in a face to face setting. Lectures are supplemented with visuals, often better than face to face classes. In addition, students are increasingly interacting with the professor and with each other using audio and chat forms. There are multiple learning levels during these sessions more so than is possible in traditional face to face classes. Often these parallel discussions need to be placed in a "parking lot" in F2F to avoid distractions from the lecturer, but in the virtual classroom, both conversations can occur without significant degradation to the knowledge sharing.

What I see happening is the level of interaction is growing, in part I think through growing skill sets for students and professors. We're learning how to use the technology.

A couple of years ago I speculated that the biggest force working against synchronous virtual learning was the size of the "pipe" that carried information between participants, but I underestimated the degree everyone had to learn in order to more effectively use the new technology. Now I see those learning curves paying off and the "pipe" isn't as much of a constraint as I'd thought.

For my money, I'd rather have a well planned synchronous virtual class where students understand the rules of discussion and are interested in sharing with the professor than a traditional F2F lecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment