Sunday, January 24, 2010

I've continued to develop my understanding of the implications of Web 2.0 via the R685 course forums and chat. I'm beginning to appreciate the enormous quantities of information and learning opportunities available.

Recent readings point out that learning will include significant amounts of informal, on-demand events. This is a departure from the structured, formal, university course scenarios I've grown accustomed to over the years.

But I now see informal, on-demand not necessarily meaning just surfing the web and finding cool stuff. Instead informal can have a general learning objective and the learner can use the web to add to that objective incrementally with nuggets of knowledge gathered throughout the web.

This afternoon I read an article by Dr. Bonk called " An Open Letter to the Learners of This Planet." In it he suggests that so much is happening that "traditional learning is integrated into the virtual and informal......" I wonder if there will be universities that provide less formal instructional content to their courses but provide credentially to students and evaluation once students satisfy learning objectives by gathering instruction directly from web sources?

No comments:

Post a Comment